Discover the Etruscans on this guided cultural tour and visit the city of Tarquinia, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Explore the ancient Etruscan necropolis with tombs painted over 3000 years ago.
Discover the Italian Air Force Museum in Vigna di Valle
Come explore the unique Air Force’s Historical Museum, the largest aviation museum in Europe in terms of quality and quantity. The tour starts from Civitavecchia harbour at 8:45 am. After 45 minutes of transportation, we arrive at Vigna di Valle near Bracciano Lake.
The Italian Air Force Museum was opened to the public in 1977. It is one of the largest and most fascinating aviation museums in the world. It is located on the shore of Bracciano Lake in the historical airport of Vigna di Valle, where the first airship construction yards in Italy, the first meteorological department, the first Italian seaplane base and experimental centre, and the first air-sea rescue base were established.
This museum with over 13.000 square meters of display area has over 80 planes, an extensive engine collection, and hundreds of historical objects recounting, in chronological order, the history of Italian aviation and those great figures who contributed to it. It is composed of three big pavilions:
- Trosted Hangar: This hangar is the only survivor of a set of buildings given to Italy by Austria/Hungary as WWI reparations. It has on display aircraft and historical objects from the period between the early days of flight, the Flight Pioneers, and the end of WWI (1915-1918).
- Velo Hangar: This area covers the period between the two World Wars: the Polar flights (1926-1933), the great solo and mass formation flights across the Atlantic (1919-1934), planes from the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939), and the aircraft of the Italian Royal Air Force and others at the beginning of WWII.
- Badoni Hangar: This hangar has on display the larger aircraft and the fighters of the Italian Royal Air Force and others used between the 1930s and the end of WWII.
After the museum visit, we have a typical Italian lunch in Bracciano City centre, and we return to the port at 3:00 pm.
- WWI and WWII aircraft
- Impressive planes and artifacts
- History of the Italian air force
- Pick-up/drop-off from Civitavecchia harbour
- Round-trip shared transfer
- English-speaking driver
- Museum entrance fee
- Professional guide