Discover the Etruscans on this guided cultural tour and visit the city of Tarquinia, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Explore the ancient Etruscan necropolis with tombs painted over 3000 years ago.
Explore Rome’s Fountains and Squares
Departing from Civitavecchia, this tour takes you on a walk through the historic center of Rome. You start with the splendid Pantheon, the best preserved ancient Roman building in the world that has been continuously used since its consecration as a pagan temple to ‘all the gods’ almost 2000 years ago to its current use as an active Roman Catholic Basilica.
Built by Emperor Hadrian, this architectural wonder claims the largest concrete dome without support in the world with an opening or oculus in the center, which means that it actually rains inside the building.
We then walk along Piazza Navona, built on the ruins of the Emperor Domitian’s stadium and now adorned by Bernini’s Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi. Next we go to Campo di Fiori, the colorful food market in the morning and hotspot for young people in the evening, followed by the splendid Piazza next to Farnese, with the French embassy of Michelangelo and ancient Roman water basins that serve as fountains originating from the Imperial Baths of Caracalla.
We cross the Tiber river on the Sisto Bridge and arrive in the medieval world of Trastevere, ending up in the spectacular square of Santa Maria, the burial place of some popes and some of the best examples of Byzantine mosaic art and carved wood ceilings. Around 2:00 pm, we leave to return to the port of Civitavecchia.
- Start the tour in Piazza Navona and admire the famous fountain of the Four Rivers by Bernini
- Find out how the pope commissioned the two great rivals, Bernini and Borromini, to decorate Piazza Navona
- Visit from the outside of one of the best preserved ancient Roman monuments: the Pantheon
- Stroll through the picturesque streets near the Pantheon and pass the columns of Emperor Hadrian
- Enjoy the beautiful Trevi fountain at night with the lights shining on the clear waters (remember to throw a coin in the fountain to guarantee your return to Rome!)
- Finally, visit the famous Spanish passes named after the Spanish Embassy to the Holy See
- What Is Included
- Pick-up and drop-off from Largo Della Pace SNC in Civitavecchia
- Fixed menu for lunch in a typical restaurant
- Authorized guide for walking tour
- Transfer to and from Rome
- Additional Services on Request
- Additional stops at Cerveteri